Drains are a large part of our business. Sometimes there is nothing that could have been done to prevent the problem from occurring. However, a large number of our drain repairs could have been avoided. Here are a few tips to help maintain your drains:
1. Use the disposer wisely. Abuse of the garbage disposer always creates a problem.
2. Use the basket strainer in the kitchen sink. If you don’t have one get one.
3. Every couple of weeks while cleaning, be sure to remove the sink and top pop-up assembly and rinse them of removing hair and gunk that will eventually clog the drain.
4. Never pour grease down the drain.
5. Scrape and wipe you diner plates off well before putting them in the dishwasher.
6. Make sure that your shower and floor drains have drain covers that are secure.
7. Clean off that shelf above the toilet that will allow something to fall into and clog the toilet.
8. If you have small children, educate then on what goes into to toilet as well as how much paper to use.
9. If you have an older home, treating your drains on a regular basis with an enzyme like Bio-Clean will help break down organic material and grease.
10. A yearly root treatment with a product like ROOTX is also a good idea, if you suspect roots is clogging your sewer line.
Preventing drain clogs is the best way to prevent a plumbing emergency. Call a Charleston plumber to help you with any clogged drain.