Here are a dozen plumbing tips that can help improve your plumbing system:
1. Do not use chemical drain cleaners if you have metal pipes. Some chemical cleaners can cause damage to metal pipes and never mix chemical cleaners.
2. To prevent scalding, set you water heater’s temperature to 120 degrees F.
3. Check you washing machine hoses annually for wear and cracks. These hoses should be changed at least every five years.
4. If your water heater is over 15 years old, you should change it. This will save energy and aggravation.
5. Flush your water heater out once a year to remove sediment. This will make your water heater more efficient.
6. If your shower pressure is weak, take the shower head off and soak it in vinegar overnight. Scrub it with an old brush to remover mineral deposits.
7. To help keep your drains open, pour a gallon of boiling water down them every month.
8. Check your toilets and faucets for small leaks. Repair them before they become a bigger problem.
9. Check you garbage disposer and dishwasher connections. Make sure they are tight and leak free.
10. Monitor you water bill. A large spike may indicate a water leak.
11. Locate and mark your emergency water shut off valve. Test it and make sure it works. You will be glad you did when you have a broken pipe.
12. Locate and mark your sewer cleanout. If you do not have one, consider getting one installed. This will save you time, money and aggravation when you have a sewer backup.
If you need help with any of these projects, call your Charleston Plumber for assistance.